The Virginia Journal of International Law (VJIL) and the J.B. Moore Society of International Law are proud to present the 2013 Spring Symposium on Friday, February 22, 2013. The Symposium will present a set of panels discussing recent trends and changes facing the international financial sector. As the challenges confronting the global economy become more complex, the importance of innovation by the United States and other foreign entities is becoming increasingly more evident.
Ethiopis Tafara, Director, Office of International Affairs, U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission
“Crisis and the Evolution of Sovereign Debt”: Significant responses to the sovereign debt crisis from financial institutions and international actors, and the potential legacy of efforts to address these challenges.
Moderator: Pierre-Hugues Verdier, Associate Professor of Law, University of Virginia School of Law
- -Mitu Gulati, Professor of Law, Duke University School of Law
- -Jonathan Hamilton, Partner, White & Case LLP
- -W. Mark Weidemaier, Assistant Professor of Law, UNC School of Law
“Trends and Effects of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act”: Exploring trends in the application of the FCPA, its interaction with international standards, and the ultimate effects on international corporate governance and behavior.
Moderator: Paul B. Stephan, John C. Jeffries, Jr. Distinguished Professor of Law, University of Virginia School of law
- -Richard Dean, Partner, Baker & McKenzie
- -Eric Kadel, Partner, Sullivan & Cromwell LLP
- -Mark Mendelsohn, Partner, Paul Weiss Rifkind Wharton & Garrison LLP
- -Philip M. Nichols, Associate Professor of Legal Studies and Business Ethics, Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania
- -Richard Smith, Partner, Fulbright & Jaworski LLP
“The International Convergence of Banking and Securities Regulations”: Assessing the impact of increasingly homogenized rules, standards, and norms across international boundaries in the regulation of global banking and securities markets.
Moderator: John D. Morley, Associate Professor of Law, UVA
- -Edward Kelly, Chairman of Institutional Clients Group, Citigroup Inc.
- -Galit Sarfaty, Assistant Professor, University of British Columbia Faculty of Law
- -Andrew Verstein, Associate Research Scholar in Law, John R. Raben/Sullivan & Cromwell Executive Director of the Center for the Study of Corporate Law, Yale Law School
|Thursday at 7:00 P.M.||Welcome Dinner|
|8:00 A.M – 9:00 A.M
|9:00 A.M. – 10:30 A.M.
||Panel 1: “Crisis and the Evolution of Sovereign Debt”|
|10:30 A.M. – 10:45 A.M.
|10:45 A.M. – 12:30 P.M.
||Panel 2: “Trends and Effects of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act”|
|12:30 P.M. – 1:30 P.M.
|1:30 P.M. – 2:30 P.M.
||Keynote Speech: Ethiopis Tafara|
|2:30 P.M. – 2:45 P.M.
|2:45 P.M. – 4:15 P.M.
||Panel 3: “The International Convergence of Banking and Securities Regulations”|
|4:15 P.M. – 4:30 P.M.
|4:30 P.M. – 5:30 P.M.